Modern Marketing attended the 2019 Loerie Awards, which took place at the Durban ICC on 23 and 24 August where 296 awards were handed out across 14 categories. There were five Grand Prix, 32 Golds, 72 Silvers, 116 Bronzes, 18 Craft Golds and 53 Craft Certificates.
Around 2500 entries were received – 646 brands were represented by 281 agencies from 15 countries across Africa and the Middle East (with 16% of entries from outside South Africa). The awards were judged by over 140 regional and international industry leaders in their fields, including international Jury Presidents Nedal Ahmed, Tara McKenty, Ralf Heuel and Katja Thielen.
Grands Prix Awards
– David Krynauw, South Africa – in the Design category for the architecture project ‘Kleine Rijke’.
– TBWA\Istanbul – in Typography Design, Theatre Hours’ for ‘Acting Identity’.
– M&C Saatchi Abel, South Africa in the Film category, TV & Cinema Commercials for Nando’s ‘Afro-tising’.
– TBWA\Hunt Lascaris Johannesburg, South Africa – in Internet and Mobile Audio Commercials for City Lodge Hotel Groups’ ‘The Real Cost’.
– Ogilvy Johannesburg, South Africa In Live Activations for Philips & The Nelson Mandela Foundation’s ‘Mandela Centenary’.
Andrea Quaye, vice president of marketing at Anheuser-Busch InBev was awarded the Marketing Leadership and Innovation Award for 2019.
This year’s Loeries Hall of Fame inductee is Alistair King, the founding creative partner of King James Group.
Joe Public United won the Agency of The Year Award.
TBWA scooped the Agency Group of the year.
Here is the list of some the Loeries 2019 winners:
To view full list of winners click here.
The Loeries will release its full official rankings in October.