South African agencies picked up a total of seven Pencils from The One Show 2019 awards, which took place on 8 and 10 May during The One Club’s Creative Week in New York.
The One Show is a top global awards show for advertising, design and digital marketing focusing on creativity of ideas and quality of execution. The global ADC Annual Awards honours creative excellence in craft, design and innovation across all disciplines. Creative Week is the preeminent festival celebrating the intersection of advertising and the arts.
The One Show Pencil is one of the highest accolades in the industry because it is one of the most difficult to win. For both nights of The One Show 2019, 569 Pencils were awarded: 180 Gold, 178 Silver and 211 Bronze. A total of 19,445 pieces were entered this year from 73 countries.
South African winners
TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris Johannesburg was awarded a Gold Pencil for ‘Breaking Ballet’ on behalf of Joburg Ballet in Branded Entertainment, Short Form Video – Campaign/Series/Episodic, as well as a Silver Pencil for ‘Breaking Ballet’ on behalf of Joburg Ballet in Social Media, Social Post – Real-time Response.
Romance Films Cape Town with Joe Public (Pty) Ltd. Johannesburg won two Bronze Pencils in Moving Image Craft for Chicken Licken ‘Sbu 2.0’, one for Direction – Single and one for Use of Music – Licenced/Adapted Music.
Also receiving two Bronze Pencils was Net#work BBDO Johannesburg for Mercedes-Benz ‘Return to Chapman’s Peak’ in Branded Entertainment, Long Form Video – Single and the Film, Online Films & Video categories.
Ogilvy South Africa Johannesburg was the other Pencil winner, winning Bronze for ‘#ShaveToRemember’ on behalf of Philips & The Nelson Mandela Foundation in Design, Branding – Brand Installations.
Top One Show 2019 global winners
The top Gold Pencil winner on the first night of The One Show 2019 was adam&eveDDB London with that Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) London and This Morning ITV London with eight, all for ‘Project 84’ for CALM.
Droga5 New York picked up seven Gold Pencils, including four for The New York Times ‘The Truth Is Worth It’ in Moving Image Craft (one of them with Furlined Santa Monica), two for Tourism Australia ‘Dundee: The Son of a Legend Returns Home’ (one each in Branded Entertainment and Public Relations) and one with Wieden+Kennedy New York and Bud Light New York for HBO ‘Game of Thrones x Bud Light – Joust’ in Branded Entertainment.
McCann New York also received seven Golds, including three for March for Our Lives ‘Price On Our Lives’ (all in Public Relations), three for MGM Resorts International ‘Universal Love Songs’ (two in Branded Entertainment and one in Radio and Audio) and one for State Street Global Advisors ‘Fearless Girl’ in Creative Effectiveness.
The One Show 2019 Best in Show honours, recognising the single most outstanding work entered this year, went to Wieden+Kennedy Portland with Park Pictures Los Angeles and Joint Portland for ‘Dream Crazy’ on behalf of Nike.
This year’s top honors, based upon cumulative One Show Pencils and Merits won across all disciplines, are:
• Agency of the Year — Wieden+Kennedy Portland.
• In-house Agency of the Year — Spotify.
• Network of the Year — DDB Worldwide.
• Creative Holding Company of the Year — Omnicom Group.
• Production Company of the Year — MPC.
• Client of the Year — Nike.
Best of Discipline winners of The One Show 2019 were:
• Branded Entertainment: DDB Chicago ‘Broadway the Rainbow’ for Mars Wrigley Confectionery.
• Creative Effectiveness: Wieden+Kennedy Portland ‘Dream Crazy’ for Nike.
• Design: The New York Public Library New York with Mother New York ‘Insta Novels’ for The New York Public Library.
• Health Wellness & Pharma: AMVBBDO London ‘Viva La Vulva’ for Essity.
• Intellectual Property: FCB Inferno London ‘Story Sign’ for Huawei.
• Moving Image Craft: Sra Rushmore SA Madrid with Blur Films Madrid ‘Hope’ for International Committee of the Red Cross.
• Public Relations: Leo Burnett Chicago ‘Legal-ade’ for Kraft Heinz Country Time Lemonade.
• Radio & Audio: BWM Dentsu Sydney ‘Project Revoice’ for The ALS Association.
• Creative Use of Data: McCann London with Craft/McCann London, Somesuch London and Twentyfour Seven Madrid ‘Football Decoded’ for Microsoft Xbox.
• Digital Craft: 360i New York ‘Westworld: The Maze’ for HBO.
• Direct Marketing: TBWA\Chiat\Day New York with Rebel & Rogue New York and Design by Disruption New York ‘Billie Jean King Your Shoes’ for Adidas.
• Experiential & Immersive: FCB New York with O Positive New York ‘The Whopper Detour’ for Burger King.
• Film: Droga5 New York ‘The Truth Is Worth It’ for The New York Times
• Integrated: Nike Beaverton with Wieden+Kennedy Portland, Park Pictures Los Angeles and Joint Portland ‘Dream Crazy’ for Nike.
• Interactive & Online: VIRTUE Copenhagen ‘adDRESS THE FUTUR’ for Carlings.
• Mobile: MullenLowe SSP3 Bogotá with Macarena Films Bogotá and Cainkade New York ‘My Line’ for Ministry of Technology & Communication of Colombia.
• Print & Outdoor: Wieden+Kennedy Portland ‘Dream Crazy’ for Nike.
• Social Influencer Marketing: adam&eveDDB London ‘#TrollingIsUgl’ for The Cybersmile Foundation.
• Social Media: Wieden+Kennedy Portland ‘Dream Crazy’ for Nike.
The One Show special awards
The One Show Green Pencil, recognising the single most environmentally conscious creative work for the year, was awarded to BETC Paris for ‘Save Our Species’ on behalf of Lacoste.’
‘Dream Crazy’ for Nike by Wieden+Kennedy Portland with Park Pictures Los Angeles and Joint Portland won the Gold One Show Cultural Driver Award, recognising influential ideas and executions that had a major impact in their respective cultures and environments, and exist outside the traditional categories in advertising and design.
A jury of 10 leading global CMOs awarded the 2019 CMO Pencil to David Rubin, chief marketing officer at The New York Times, as a result of their selecting ‘The Truth Is Worth It’ as the world’s single most impactful idea on a brand’s business from the past year. The jury picked the work, by Droga5 New York, from among this year’s 20 highest-scoring entries including Best of Discipline winners, narrowly beating out Nike “Dream Crazy” by Wieden+Kennedy Portland.
The prestigious One Show Penta Pencil, awarded to the agency and brand who together have created stellar creative work for the last five years, was presented adam&eveDDB London and client John Lewis & Partners London.
Creative Week also includes the ADC 98th Annual Awards, two nights of The One Show, the dynamic Young Ones Education Festival, inspiring sessions with some of the biggest names in the industry at the Creative Summit and the exclusive Executive Creative Summit, open to a limited number of top-level leaders (founders, CCOs, managing partners).
THE ONE SHOW oneshow.org